#MusicMonday - 8.24.10 - The Knife  

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

#MusicMonday - 8.24.10 - The Knife

Do I realize its not Monday? Yes. Do I care? No.

Have I not posted in like a month? Yes, er no. I actually put up the blurb about RememberReach.com last Friday. I did not realize at the time that the site required facebook interaction. Not the biggest deal in the world, but if you read the TOS, you'll see that you are authorizing them to access your data, regardless of whether you are signed in or not, anytime day or night, etc etc. Just seemed like a lot of access for something that should barely require an email address.

Despite the possible invasion of privacy, I'm still unbelievably excited for Halo: Reach.

Isn't this a music post? Yes, yes it is. This post is a little bit of a deviation, even for me. If your eyes just got all big at that, then you may want to go ahead and hit up the next entry in your Google reader. What we got here is The Knife: an electro-pop duo from Sweden. Sounds right up my alley you say? Well shows what you know about my alley. Also, how many times do I have to tell you STAY OUT OF THERE!!1!

The track we're going to listen to today is from an album entitled Tomorrow, In a Year. It is an opera (gulp) based on Charlie Darwin's On the Origin of Species (big gulp). Now, I'll be the first to go on record as saying that I don't buy any of Darwin's theories, but I did listen to the entire album and I didn't really hear anything about anything, that I recall. Maybe it was in Swedish, maybe I wasn't paying close attenion, maybe it was some mixture of the two. Any way you slice it, I heard it and thought it was weird. But then I kept thinking about and humming parts of it to myself, so I gave it another listen. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the danger of having an open mind about music. You can listen to something, even an opera about evolution, form a Swedish electronica act and start to like it. Strange times we're living in.

(Now I have listened to the audio itself about twenty times so far, but I have not actually watched this video - which I should point out is not the "official" version - all the way through.  Watch at your own risk!  Probably nothing bad, just some weirdness.)

"Colouring of Pigeons" from "Tomorrow, In a Year," a collaboration between The Knife, Mt. Sims and Planningtorock. (it's 11+ minutes, so I know you won't be around to see the part at the end about how to get $50...)








...can't believe you watched the whole thing. There is no $50, sucka!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button