#MusicMonday - 12.27.10 - Girl Talk  

Monday, December 27, 2010

The last Monday (#Music or otherwise) of 2010!

Broken dreams and shattered promises. That's all this blog has been about lately, and that was just the readers! Management offers no guarantees of posting frequency nor satisfaction, implied or otherwise, etc etc, ad nauseam.

What can be said about Greg Gillis that has not already been said? Hailing from Pittsburgh, PA, Girl Talk can be succinctly summed up in one word: mashup. As much as a I love a good circular posting, I'll just say that I have covered mashup artists before, so I won't bore you with the logistics. What sets Girl Talk above any of the others I've heard (so far), is the concept of synergy. On his latest album "All Day," all of his tracks are made up of between ten and thirty snippets of other songs. Many of which I wouldn't even bother to give between 10 and 30 seconds notice to otherwise, but the sum of the parts are much more than the individual tracks.

Now, before this thing turns into an all out yearly wrapup, let's just get to the good stuff. Also of note, I do believe this is the first time I've had to drop a NSFW tag on a #MusicMonday post, in this case, due to explicit language. Spoiler alert: much of Greg Gillis' work combines pop music with rap lyrics, if that gives you any insight into the type of language you'll be subjected to below. Enjoy!

(edit: almost forgot, you can download Girl Talk's "All Day," for free, from his record label's website and, might I suggest, that you download the seamless version, as that is how it was meant to be listened to...and it is much better, imo)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button